After the Allied bombing of Hamburg in July 1943, operations essential to the war effort were relocated to the surrounding area. This was the reason why the Philips-Valvo valve plant was moved to an empty section of a leather factory in Horneburg. Between mid-October 1944 and mid-February 1945, approximately 200 Hungarian Jews were forced to manufacture valves for radios, telecommunications equipment as well as light bulbs and other products for submarines, whereas another 50 Dutch female prisoners were deployed to work within the satellite camp and at the port of Horneburg. The Jewish women from Hungary had been taken to Horneburg via Auschwitz-Birkenau, while the Dutch women came via Ravensbrück concentration camp. In mid-February 1945, the SS transported the women to the Porta Westfalica satellite camp for women. On 24 February 1945, the camp received another transport of prisoners: 300 Jewish women from Hungary who had previously been imprisoned in the Weißwasser camp (a satellite camp of Groß-Rosen concentration camp) and in Auschwitz. In Horneburg, these women were forced to manufacture valves and light bulbs for Philips-Valvo, just as they had done in Weißwasser. On 8 April, the women were transported by rail to Bergen-Belsen, where they arrived on 11 April. The commander of the Horneburg satellite camp for women in 1944/45 was SS-Unterscharführer Peter Klaus Friedrich Hansen.
a) mid-October 1944 to mid-February 1945 b) 24 February 1945 to 8 April 1945
a) 250, b) 300
Production of valves and light bulbs
Directions by public transportation: 10 minutes by foot from Horneburg railway station
After long public debate, a memorial stone with a plaque was finally erected on 22 October 1997 at the site of the former satellite camp. The memorial was financed by private donations and initiated by private individuals and the Free Democratic Party of Horneburg.