The exhibition “Prison and Memorial: Documentation of a Contradiction” presents the history and circumstances of the erection and demolition of the two prisons on the grounds of the former concentration camp. The first prison was built in Neuengamme by the city of Hamburg in 1950 on the site of the former prisoners’ barracks. At the end of the 1960s, a second prison was built on the location of the former clay pits. Former prisoners and prisoners’ associations protested against this use of the grounds, as did the public, who criticised that this did not acknowledge the site’s history. This led to a change in attitude on the part of politicians in the 1980s. In 2006, the last prison institution located on the grounds of the former concentration camp was closed.
This open-air exhibition can be found on part of a wall that still remains from the former correctional institution, Justizvollzugsanstalt IX.