In November 1944, the SS and the management of the Stülcken shipyard set up a satellite camp of Neuengamme concentration camp in the shipyard grounds. Around 250 male prisoners were transported to the shipyard by boat on 22 November and housed on the fourth floor in the mould loft of the boiler shop. The prisoners were Jewish men from Hungary, while the overseers (Kapos) were German and Dutch. At the shipyard, the prisoners mostly had to carry out clearance work in day and night shifts under the supervision of German foremen.
The commander of the satellite camp was SS-Oberscharführer August Reich, who spent only the first three days at the shipyard before handing command of the camp over to his deputy, Arthur Zeise.
In April 1945, the SS evacuated the satellite camp and transported the prisoners to the POW camp in Sandbostel.
Evidence exists of two other satellite camps at Steinwerder, one for Howaldtwerke and one at Reiherstieg for Deutsche Werft, but their existence has not yet been confirmed.
22 November 1944 to 21 April 1945
250 Male Prisoners
Shipyard and clearance work