On 27 September 1944, the Eidelstedt satellite camp for women was established in an existing camp of huts on Friedrichshulder Weg. 500 Jewish women from Hungary and Czechoslovakia were imprisoned in this camp and used by the Hamburg city council for clearance and construction work. They primarily erected provisional, pre-fabricated houses near the camp. In the final months of the war, the women also had to clear away rubble and snow in Hamburg.
These prisoners had been selected along with around 1,000 other women in the Auschwitz-Birkenau extermination camp for work in northern Germany. In mid-July 1944, they were taken to the Hamburg-Dessauer Ufer satellite camp. From there, they were transported to the Wedel satellite camp for women on 13 September 1944. They arrived at the Eidelstedt camp on 27 September.
Probably on 7 April 1945, the SS cleared the Eidelstedt camp and transported the women to the Bergen-Belsen "reception camp". On 20/21 April 1945, several hundred more women who had been evacuated to Hamburg from the Helmstedt-Beendorf satellite camp arrived at Eidelstedt. In early May, more prisoners came to Eidelstedt from the Langenhorn/Ochsenzoll and Wandsbek satellite camps for women in Hamburg. These prisoners were liberated by British soldiers on 5 May.
The commander of the satellite camp was SS-Unterscharführer Walter Kümmel. Kümmel was sentenced by a British military tribunal in 1946 to ten years in prison, but he was released early in 1952.
a) 27 September 1944 to 7 April 1945 b) 20/21 April to 5 May 1945
a) 500 Frauen b) mehrere Hundert Frauen
Construction of makeshift houses and rubble clearance
Hamburg City Council
Grounds of the former camp:
Friedrichshulder Weg 37, 22647 Hamburg, Germany ("Halstenbek-Krupunder" urban rail station [S-Bahn]).
Emmaus-Kirchengemeinde, Kleiberweg 115, 22457 Hamburg, Germany.
In February 1978, a "Working Group against Neo-Fascism" (Arbeitskreis gegen Neofaschismus) was founded in the "Emmaus" congregation of Hamburg-Lurup with the aim of "educating people about the goals, crimes and delusion of the National Socialist movement". In 1979, a memorial stone for the victims of National Socialism was erected on the parish grounds. A bronze plaque commemorating the Eidelstedt satellite camp of Neuengamme concentration camp was added later.
There is also a memorial stone on the grounds of the former camp on Friedrichshulder Weg which was erected in 1985 on the initiative of a project group at the Glückstädter Weg comprehensive school, now known as the "Geschwister-Scholl-Schule". In 1988, a sign was placed at the memorial site by the Hamburg Cultural Authority as part of its "Sites of Persecution and Resistance 1933-1945" program (Stätten der Verfolgung und des Widerstandes 1933–1945).
Stadtteilkulturzentrum Eidelstedter Bürgerhaus
Alte Elbgaustraße 12
Tel.: +49 (0) 40 – 8 40 50 97 0