In August 1944, the SS set up a Neuengamme satellite camp for women in Boizenburg. 400 Jewish women from Hungary were transported from Auschwitz-Birkenau to Boizenburg. They had to work 12-hour shifts, day and night, for the company Thomsen & Co., producing and repairing parts for fighter planes and warships.
The Boizenburg satellite camp was probably evacuated on 28 April 1945 ahead of the advancing Allied troops. The women were forced to march in the direction of Neustadt-Glewe. On 2 May 1945, the prisoners were liberated near Groß-Laasch by the US Army.
The name of the commander of the Boizenburg satellite camp for women is not known.
August 1944 to 28 April 1945
400 Female Prisoners
Production of aircraft and ship parts
Thomsen & Co
The Elbbergmuseum and the memorial stone are located on old Bundesstraße 5 (A-road) near the former border checkpoint (coming from the direction of Lauenburg, turn right off of the new bypass before Boizenburg). Directions by public transportation: Take bus 315 (Boizenburg–Lauenburg) to the "Vier" stop.
Opening hours of the Elbbergmuseum: April–September, Sat. and Sun. 1:00 p.m.–4:00 p.m. or by appointment through the Heimatmuseum Boizenburg, Tel.: +49 (0) 38847 - 62665.
On 3 October 1969, a monument designed by G. Zecher was dedicated at a site down from the former camp grounds. The monument is made of stones and features an offering bowl and an inscription. In the early 1990s, the kitchen hut on the camp grounds, which was still in its original state, was placed under a preservation order. Since 2000, this hut has housed the Elbbergmuseum Boizenburg. An exhibition in the front part of the building informs visitors about the history of the satellite camp through pictures, texts, a model of the camp and a few original artefacts. The back part of the building contains an exhibition on the border control facilities of the former GDR.
Tel.: +49 (0) 38847 – 5 55 19
Tel.: +49 (0) 38847 – 62665