In late November 1944, the Bremen-Neuenland satellite camp was cleared after the long march to and from the camp had become too dangerous due to Allied bombing. The entire work commando was transferred to the Bremen-Osterort satellite camp, where the prisoners were housed in the huts of a POW camp. The new camp was located on the grounds of the company known as Norddeutsche Hütte AG, which belonged to the Krupp group at the time. SS-Obersturmführer Hugo Benedict remained commander of the camp after the relocation. He was also the base leader for all Neuengamme satellite camps in Bremen. His deputy was SS member M. Blixt, who also represented Benedict as camp commander when dealing with Norddeutsche Hütte AG.
The majority of the 1,000 prisoners continued to be involved in the construction of the "Hornisse" submarine bunker on behalf of the head construction department of the Kriegsmarine. The German navy pressed for the completion of this bunker in close cooperation with Deschimag, a Bremen shipyard also belonging to the Krupp group. When the camp was relocated, a new work commando of around 50 concentration camp prisoners was assembled and deployed to dispose of the slag produced at the blast furnace of Norddeutsche Hütte AG.
On 6 April, the SS cleared the camp. The prisoners were first moved to Bremen-Farge. From there, some of the prisoners were taken back to Neuengamme main camp, while the remaining prisoners were taken on foot or by train directly to the Sandbostel "reception camp" near Bremervörde.
28 November 1944 to 6 April 1945
1000 Male Prisoners
Construction of the "Hornisse" submarine bunker and work at the blast furnace
Head construction department of the German navy, Deutsche Schiffs- und Maschinenbau AG (Deschimag), Krupp-Norddeutsche Hütte
Grounds of the former camp:
Auf den Dehlen 35
Directions by public transportation: Take tram (Straßenbahn) 2, 3 or 10 to the "Straßenbahndepot" stop (final stop), then continue on with bus 75 or 80 to the "Stahlwerke Bremen" stop.
The memorial plaque can only be accessed by pre-registering with the Bremen steel works.
After the end of the war, ethnic Germans expelled from Gdansk lived in the former satellite camp. From 1947 to 1949, leading Nazi officials were imprisoned there. Afterwards, Sinti and Roma were housed in the camp.
Since 1984, there has been a memorial plaque on the grounds of the Bremen steelworks (known as "Klöckner-Hütte Bremen" until 1994). The plaque was initiated by the "Kollegengruppe der Klöckner-Hütte Bremen" ("Workers of Klöckner-Hütte Bremen").
The "Hornisse" submarine bunker, which was constructed by many of the prisoners in this satellite camp, is now the foundation of an administrative building for a haulage company. There is nothing on the site to indicate the history of the location.
Betriebsratsbüro der Stahlwerke Bremen
Auf den Dehlen 35
Tel.: +49 (0) 421 – 6 48 22 58