In the spring of 1943, a branch of the 2nd SS Construction Brigade (II. SS-Baubrigade) in Bremen was established in Wilhelmshaven as a satellite camp of the Neuengamme concentration camp. Concentration camp prisoners had been used in SS construction brigades since the autumn of 1942 to clear rubble, recover bodies and defuse bombs after Allied bombing raids on cities in western and north-western Germany. These prisoners were usually under the command of the concentration camp authority closest to their place of deployment.
175 prisoners were forced to carry out clearance work and recover unexploded bombs for the city council. It is not known where the men were housed. In early August 1943, following massive attacks on Hamburg, all prisoners were moved there. In September and November 1943, groups of 30 prisoners were taken to Wilhelmshaven as “bomb seekers” for a month at a time.
The name of the camp commander is not known.
Spring 1943 to November 1943
175 Male Prisoners
Clearance and construction work
Wilhelmshaven City Council
Neues Küstenmuseum Wilhelmshaven, Weserstraße 58, 26382 Wilhelmshaven, Germany.
Directions by public transportation: 5 minutes’ walk from the Wilhelmshaven railway station.
The history of the satellite camp on Banter Weg is documented in the permanent exhibition of the Wilhelmshaven Coastal Museum.
Wilhelmshaven Coastal Museum: February-November except for Mondays 11:00 AM–5:00 PM.
January: open for groups (request)
Tel.: +49 (0) 4421 – 4 00 94 0
Fax: +49 (0) 4421 – 7 79 78 5