Between November 1944 and 11 April 1945, there was a satellite camp of Neuengamme concentration camp in the school on Bullenhuser Damm, in the middle of the bombed-out restricted zone of Rothenburgsort. The Hamburg city council had made the school building available to the SS-owned company Deutsche Erd- und Steinwerke GmbH for housing prisoners. It was probably in late November 1944 that an advance commando began to convert the school into a satellite camp. The prisoners were then taken to Rothenburgsort where they were primarily forced to carry out construction work, using rubble to create bricks and slabs. A report from 29 March 1945 by Dr. Trzebinski, the SS Garrison Physician at Neuengamme concentration camp, records that 592 men were assigned to the satellite camp as of 25 March 1944, but the camp probably held many more prisoners than this since the SS Economic Administration Main Office (SS-Wirtschaftsverwaltungshauptamt) had approved the deployment of 1,000 prisoners there. Most of the prisoners came from Poland or the Soviet Union. After the satellite camp was evacuated between 9 and 11 April 1945, the SS transported the men to the Sandbostel POW camp.
In the night of 20 April 1945, the evacuated satellite camp was the site of a mass killing when SS men murdered 20 Jewish children in the basement of the school building. Prior to this, SS “doctor” Kurt Heißmeyer had carried out medical experiments on the five- to twelve-year-olds in Neuengamme concentration camp. Two prisoner nurses from the Netherlands and two French doctors who had tended to the children in Neuengamme were hanged along with the children. Just a few hours after this atrocity, 24 Soviet POWs from the Spaldingstraße satellite camp were taken to the school and also executed.
SS-Oberscharführer Ewald Jauch was commander of the satellite camp.
November 1944 to 9/11 April 1945
Number of prisoners
Kind of work
Rubble removal, processing of rubble, clearance work
Slave labour on behalf of
Deutsche Erd- und Steinwerke GmbH