After the Bremen-Hindenburgkaserne satellite camp was destroyed by Allied bombs, the SS moved the female prisoners of this camp to Bremen-Obernheide on 26 September 1944, where they were housed in three huts. The Jewish women from Poland and Hungary were forced into clearance work in Bremen on behalf of the city's Senator for Construction. Other work commandos had to level the earth for the construction of makeshift homes or manufacture prefabricated concrete slabs for the companies Lüning & Sohn and Rodiek. The women had to walk to the railway station in Stuhr, where they were loaded onto railway cars which took them into Bremen. After the railway tracks had been destroyed, the women were transported on lorries. But when the fuel shortage made this impossible as well, the women had to walk to their places of work, which were often more than 20 kilometres away. At least ten women did not survive these work commandos.
On 4 April 1945, the satellite camp was cleared. The women had to march to Uesen, where they encountered prisoners from the Bremen-Uphusen satellite camp. They continued with these prisoners on foot to an area near Verden on the Aller River, where the SS crammed them into open goods cars. After travelling aimlessly for days, the train arrived at Bergen-Belsen concentration camp probably on 8 April.
The commander of the Bremen-Obernheide satellite camp was SS-Hauptscharführer Johann Hille.
26 September 1944 to 4 April 1945
Number of prisoners
Kind of work
Clearance work and construction of makeshift homes
Slave labour on behalf of
Bremen City Council, Lüning & Sohn, Rodiek