generic cialis discount
who has the cheapest cialis
pfizer viagra for sale
find cialis without prescription
erectile dysfunction generic cialis pills
discounted cialis online
generic viagra illegal
wholesale prices viagra
buying cialis online
viagra discount sales

HomeNewsHistoryNeuengamme concentration campThe site after 1945The memorialSatellite camps and memorialsSlave labour in HamburgExhibitionsBranchesEventsEducationArchives and libraryResearch projectsMediaNewsletters and informationContact and locationVoluntary workSatellite camps and memorialsOther linksSearch

Porta Westfalica-Barkhausen

The SS Leadership Staff (SS-Führungsstab) A II set up three satellite camps of Neuengamme concentration camp in Porta-Westfalica to move production critical to the war effort underground. The first of these camps was in Barkhausen. On 19 March 1944, the first commando consisting of 250 prisoners arrived at Barkhausen from Buchenwald concentration camp. The prisoners marched from the train station to the Kaiserhof hotel which had been seized by the SS. While the camp was in operation, up to 1,300 men would be crammed into four-level bunk beds with straw sacks in the former ballroom of the hotel. Over half of the prisoners came from Poland and the Soviet Union, and they were later joined by prisoners from France, Belgium and the Netherlands. A group of 200 Danes was also transported to Barkhausen via Neuengamme concentration camp after the assembly camp in Frøslev was evacuated.

In Barkhausen, the prisoners were forced to dig an underground shelter to house the pressing plant of the Berlin-based company Ambi-Budd which produced fuselage parts for fighter planes. Construction of the underground facilities in the Jakobsberg hill began in early summer 1944.

The Allies’ major air offensive against the German petroleum industry also led to the relocation of petroleum companies. The largest part of the underground facility, code named “Dachs I”, was to be used by the company Deurag-Nerag to set up a refinery.

The prisoners had to excavate tunnels 5 to 6 metres wide and 4 metres high. Some parts of the tunnels were expanded to form large production halls. The malnourished prisoners were forced to carry out this work without protective gear, and many of them died as a result. Work was carried out on three levels within the mountain. The tunnels were shored up by concrete beams from the Weber concrete plant in Lerbeck, where another prisoner work detail was stationed. Other companies involved in the work included Dr. Boehme & Co., Rentrop, Veltrup, Weserhütte and Friedrich Uhde KG.

In late March 1945, around 200 prisoners were transferred from satellite camp A I in Lengerich to Barkhausen. On 1 April, all of the men were “evacuated”. They were taken on various transports via the Schandelah, Fallersleben and Helmstedt-Beendorf satellite camps and finally arrived at the “reception camp” in Wöbbelin in mid-April. They were liberated there by American troops on 2 May 1945.

The name of the camp commander is not known.


19 March 1944 to 1 April 1945

Number of prisoners

1,300 men

Kind of work 

Construction of an underground tunnel system

Slave labour on behalf of

SS Leadership Staff A II, Ambi-Budd, Dr. Boehme & Co., Rentrop, Veltrup, Weserhütte, Deurag-Nerag, Friedrich Uhde KG, Betonwerk Weber (Lerbeck)

Freebook Ebook downloaden