Poppenbüttel Prefabricated House Memorial
The memorial, which opened in 1985 with a permanent exhibition on Sasel satellite camp, is located in the left half of a former makeshift house constructed in 1944 from prefabricated concrete components. These components were manufactured in the brickworks of Neuengamme concentration camp and elsewhere. On 1 September 1989, a wooden sculpture in the form of a peace tree was erected in the forecourt of the memorial in remembrance of the fate of the concentration camp prisoners and the horrors of the Second World War. The memorial is run by the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Gedenkstätte Plattenhaus Poppenbüttel on behalf of the Hamburg Cultural Authority. A makeshift dwelling from the year 1944 has been reconstructed in the right section of the building. It shows the living situation of those who had been bombed out of their homes and then provided accommodation by the city council because they worked in institutions important to the war. A kitchen/living room, a bedroom and additional rooms contain furnishings produced during the war. A third room features an exhibition exploring the topics of air warfare, prefabricated houses and life in Hamburg during and after the war.
Opening hours: Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and by appointment.
Admission is free.
Kritenbarg 8, 22391 Hamburg, Germany (Urban railway [S-Bahn], line S1, Poppenbüttel station)
Pre-registration for tours/museum talks:
Museumsdienst, Glockengießerwall 5a, 22095 Hamburg, Germany
Tel.: +49 40 - 4 28 13 10.